Interpret Europe web conference | 1-4 October 2021 | #iecon21
IE tourism initiative: Recreating tourism through heritage interpretation 'Open doors'
4 October 2021, 14:00-17:00 CEST
If your destination, like many others, has been hit by the pandemic, you are probably seeking ways to recover and thinking about how to recreate tourism to make it more resilient in future.
We believe the solution lies in mindful people striving for meaningful experiences in a responsible way. Could heritage interpretation offer solutions for you?
Resilient tourist destinations require a skillful response and approach that can satisfy both the local community and visitors. While our societies are greatly influenced by a set of values, could we foster sustainability and resilience by strengthening human values with locals and heritage visitors?
IE tourism initiative will use a heritage interpretation approach to empower communities around heritage sites for value-based solutions.
An interpretive approach makes local heritage more meaningful and people more mindful towards our common future.
Let’s discuss solutions!
In a free, online event, we’ll exchange practical experiences on recreating tourism through heritage interpretation.
Join us and see whether your community could benefit from joining the IE tourism initiative.
IE tourism initiative ‘Open doors’
Join us on Monday 4 October in the afternoon to find some answers about how to:
- meet visitors’ desires for deep experiences and personal connections with local heritage
- engage both visitors and locals in meaningful and participatory activities
- connect with local stakeholders
- build communication skills and understanding of visitors’ needs with your staff and locals
- foster human values and sustainability in your products and services
- inspire people to act sustainably and respectfully
14:05 -14:30 – Valya Stergioti (Greece): The ‘Interpretive Stories’ project revives tourism in mountainous Greece, presentation.
14:30 - 15:15 – IE tourism initiative: What’s it all about?
Listen to first-hand experiences of tourism professionals, heritage managers and individuals working in tourism. They will share their past challenges and solutions for connecting local community and improving their products and services. You might hear ideas about:
- what interpretive services you could create
- how to empower employees and volunteers to be more skilful in communication
- what successful results in different destinations we have traced
- how you can get involved
The IE tourism initiative has been designed based on their case studies.
15:15 – 16:00 – IE tourism initiative: What’s in it for you?
Ask questions and get answers! You’ll have a chance to talk in person with tourism professionals from award-winning destinations who already use the interpretive approach. You will also be able to find out how to join the IE tourism initiative yourself.
16:00 – 17:00 – Interpretive training Q&A
- Mingle around coffee tables and get into exchange with:
- IE interpretive trainers who run courses in different European countries. Ask them about the specifics of each training course
- IE certified interpretive guides, writers and planners from all around Europe and ask them about their personal experience with the interpretative approach in their work
- Tourism destination managers and find out about their experiences with post-training development
- IE’s Tourism Team
For more information about the IE tourism initiative visit that website.
Open doors session is part of the IE web conference, therefore registration for conference attendees is not required.